First built in the middle of the 19th century, Thornton Manor has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building.
Located in the village of Thornton Hough, Wirral, England, the house was first built in the middle of the 19th century and has been altered and extended in a number of phases since. From 1888 to the end of the 20th century the house was occupied by the Viscounts Leverhulme. It is now used as a conference and events centre, and a venue for weddings.
|Built:||Mid 19th century|
|Built for:||Charles William Potts
|Rebuilt:||c. 1896, 1913|
|Architectural style(s):||Elizabethan style|
Douglas & Fordham
J. J. Talbot
Grayson and Ould
The house is built in stone with slate roofs. It has three storeys and an irregular plan. The entrance front faces southwest and has protruding wings on both sides. Behind the house, at an angle towards the northeast, is the wing containing the music room. The windows are mullioned and a number of them are in canted, two-storey bays. The stables extend to the northwest.
The park was first laid out during Forwood’s ownership. It included paths, a small summer house and a bridge. The gardens as they now are were planned by Thomas H. Mawson and the 1st Viscount. The kitchen garden contains a loggia dated 1912, and there is another loggia to the southeast of the house; both were designed by Lomax-Simpson. To the northeast of the house is a structure known as The Lookout, which was designed in 1896 by Douglas and Fordham. A lake lies to the west of the house. A system of tree-lined avenues was laid out in 1912–14 by Lomax-Simpson, and has a total length of about 5 miles (8 km).